Have any of you broken any of these laws?
The following laws are still on the books. Most are no longer enforced and
many contemporary lawmakers are not even aware of the laws' existence or
history. Some are state laws, some are local within the states. Check to see
if you have broken any laws.
- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
- Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to
try to stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
- You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
- You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
- Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon
- A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or they
risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
- If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be
paid just as it would for a vehicle.
- It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
- Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
- It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other
domesticated animals kept as pets.
- Bathing is prohibited during the winter.
- Citizens are not allowed to attend a movie house or theater nor ride in a
public streetcar within four hours after eating garlic.
- Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.
- By law, anyone who has been drinking is "sober" until he or she "cannot
hold onto the ground."
- It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.
- It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
- Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting
someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."
- Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.
- Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely
- An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special
license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
- Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their
taxi during their shifts.
- A parent can be arrested if her/his child cannot hold back a burp during a
- New Mexico
- Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.
- New York
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically
prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman
in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for
the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever
and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
- North Dakota
- Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
- Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.
- Violators can be fined, arrested, or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog.
- Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by
- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in
groups of three or more on private property.
- A special cleaning ordinance bans homemakers from hiding dirt and dust
under a rug in a dwelling.
- No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
- A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first
obtaining a special five-dollar permit.
- It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
- Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath each
week- - on Saturday night.
- All lollipops are banned.
- A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with
criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of
police as he is entering the town.
- West Virginia
- No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
In Ottumwa, Iowa, "It is unlawful for any male person, within the
corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom
he is unacquainted."
In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the
In Zion, Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to
dogs,cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.
In Oblong, Illinois, it is punishable by law to make love while
hunting or fishing on your wedding day .
In Carmel, NY, a man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants
that do not match.
In Michigan Sate laws stipulate that a woman's hair legally belongs to
In Arkansas, a man can legally beat his wife, but never more than once
In Oklahoma, Violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making
ugly faces at a dog.
In West Virginia, no child may attend school with their breath
smelling of "wild onions".
In Texas, Criminals are required to give their victims 24 hours
notice, orally or in writing, to explain the nature of the crime to be
In California, it is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting
In Utah, birds have right of way on all highways.
In Utah, within the boundaries of Trementon, no woman may have sex
with a man while riding in an ambulance.
In Dyersburg, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to call a man on a
In St. Louis, it's illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and
drink beer from a bucket.
In Harford, Conn., you aren't allowed to cross a street while walking
on your hands.
In Baltimore, it's illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story
window within the city limits. It's also illegal to take a lion to the
In Oxford, Ohio, it's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing
while standing in front of a man's picture.
In Pennsylvania, "any motorist driving along a country road at night
must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for
the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue."
In Carrizozo, N.M., it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in
public (includes legs and face).
In Ohio, women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes
In Pennsylvania, a special cleaning ordinance bans homemakers from
hiding dirt and dust under rugs.
In Maryland, it is illegal to mistreat oysters. It is also illegal to
scrub sinks, no matter how dirty they become.
In Boston, Massachusetts, even married couples are forbidden from
sleeping in a rented room in the nude.
In Florida, if you are a single, divorced or married woman, you are
not allowed to parachute on Sunday afternoons.
In Kentucky, "No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway
within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or
unless she be armed with a club"
An amendment to the above legislation: "The provisions of this statute
shall not apply to females weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding
200 pounds, nor shall it apply to female horses."
The Politically Incorrect Collection